What can I say about Pin Parvati pass? It is a dream. One of the best treks I have ever done in my life. Pin Parvati offers everything a trekking enthusiast expects from the mountains. This trek is magical and ideal for adventure lovers, as it fills you with thrill and a high dose of adrenaline. The Trek starts from the Green Parvati Valley in Kullu district and ends in deserted Spiti valley. Let me be very clear. Pin Parvati Pass trek is not for beginners because of the difficulty level. It falls in the challenging category.
It is challenging because of the following reasons:
- It is a 7 days’ trek with high intensity and a distance of almost 100 km. That means on an average, one needs to trek for 4-6 hours each day which is not easy at high altitude. A person should possess good physical fitness to complete this trek
- There is no communication and help if something goes wrong in between the trek. For example – falling sick, mountain sickness or any major injury. There is a good amount of altitude gain every day on this trek, with maximum altitude being 17,500 feet at Pin Parvati Glacier
- There is no mobile network connectivity for around 8 days, no civilization and help, so one needs to take extra precaution
- This trek offers walking on different kind of terrains, which becomes treacherous. Walking on steep, narrow trails, ridges, stones, glaciers, crossing multiple streams and rivers
If you are an experienced trekker you needn’t worry about these difficulties and can handle most of it. But trust me, this trek is worth all the mental and physical effort that a trekker faces during this journey as each day is filled with new beautiful places which you would have rarely seen. I was fascinated by the beauty of mountains and nature which you encounter during this trek. The campsites are so beautiful you will want to make it your home.
Why should you do the PIN PARVATI PASS trek?
- If you have prior trekking experience and want to take it to the next level, then Pin Parvati is the trek that can add a lot of weight to your ‘Trekking Resume’. The trek starts with gradual ascent and Parvati river flowing on the side. The trail comprises of crossing forests, walking on steep paths continuously, snow, slippery ice, moraines for hours at high altitude and hot sun which is really exhausting but worth all the effort because of spectacular views.
- If you are in love with the beauty and thrill of high altitudes. This trek starts from an altitude of around 7500 feet and with each passing day there is a gradual altitude gain and reaches maximum of 17,450 feet at Pin Parvati Pass.
As you go higher, the landscape and terrain changes with the altitude. From lush green Parvati Valley to crossing a vast glacier and ultimately landing up in deserted rough terrains of Spiti Valley, the thrill never stops.
- You want to Camp every day in a Different Terrain and Setting.
Pin Parvati Pass trek is a versatile trek. Each day you will get a chance to camp in an entirely different setting.
On the First day you camp at Kheerganga, a place famous for hot water springs.
Second day the campsite is at – Tunda Bhuj with green lands on one side and huge waterfalls falling from humongous mountains on the other side.
On the third day you enter the Valley of Flowers and camp in the middle of a place called Thakur Kuan.
On the fourth day, you reach a place called Odi Thatch which is usually described as the Big Garden. It is nearly as big as a football ground, no exaggeration. All the sides are surrounded by snowcapped mountains.
The tents are pitched in this big meadow with a breathtaking night sky and the milky way galaxy.
On the fifth day you will reach a beautiful lake called ‘Mantalai Lake’. This is one of the major attractions of this Trek. This Lake is the source of Parvati river and considered to be a holy place. A paradise where you can sit beside the lake and enjoy its beauty.
On the sixth day, you start trekking towards the glacier and around 5-6 hours of trekking you camp for the night just at the base of the Pin Parvati Glacier.
On the Seventh Day you cross the vast Pin Parvati Glacier, Ice walls and magnificent views of snow-covered mountains and peaks of the Himalayas and finally after some time you are at the top of Pin Parvati Pass.
Reaching at the top is quite satisfying and a feeling of accomplishment. The views from the top are truly remarkable and you cannot stop appreciating the art of God who has created this beautiful nature.
After crossing the glacier, you enter the Pin National Park of Spiti Valley and after crossing a couple of water streams you will reach the final camp.
Robin Rao is a passionate mountaineer and a fitness enthusiast. He started rock climbing at an early age and then started mountain trekking and climbing avidly in the Himalayas.. His passion for outdoors made him discover another passion in his life i.e Fitness.
Staying Fit has become his priority now and he truly enjoys his passion by indulging regularly in Fitness activities like cross fit, functional training, cycling and running. He is also associated with Decathlon Sports India as a Brand Ambassador.